Home > Uncategorized > My Arrow is about to leave the Quiver!

My Arrow is about to leave the Quiver!

In my last post, I made mention of the mistakes I’d made around scope-creep and attempting too much in one go. Those curious can read the previous post ‘My Personal Arrow Project’.

I made a firm resolution to rectify that, and within 18 days, I kept my word.

The beta version of my product (to be announced here in a few days) is hereby complete. My original ambitious goal was to build a recommender system that could inform users which items in a steady information river flowing past them are actually useful (to them). It was a hard problem (to say the least). I have now taken a simple step in that direction.

For those (like me) with tons of useful RSS feeds to follow, but which we cannot possibly completely digest, I’ve create a tool that will automatically archive the blogs that you care about and raise alerts when topics of interest (to you) are discussed. The archive stretches back to when the blogs were initiated, so you never have to worry about missing a post again. Voila, your bookmarks are now so much more useful to you.

Watch this space for more action.

At the heart of this product is sophisticated crawlers, duplicate detectors, data cleaning and classification algorithms. Very complex stuff. At the front-end is a simple interface that a 5 years old could us.
It is designed to make a user’s experiences with their everyday information tools better, reduce anxiety, and enhance value.

It’s been a good two weeks. :-)

– Shahzad

1. Stephen Davies
    February 26th, 2010 at 14:47 | #1

Shahzad – sounds like something I need NOW!!! let me know if you need beta testers, would be great to try it out

2. February 26th, 2010 at 15:11 | #2

@steve, absolutely. You’ll get one of the first invites !

Thank you for offering to help with the beta testing. I really appreciate it.

– Shahzad

3. Nasir Rasul
    February 26th, 2010 at 16:30 | #3

All the best :).
    Let me know if you need someone to break your quiver 😉

continuation of your work from NUST days? I am guessing related to your phd?

4. February 26th, 2010 at 18:50 | #4

Nasir, it’s a completely new project. It does use bits of projects I developed or researched over the years. However, I found it simpler to create the whole system from scratch rather than reuse previous software frameworks. I did borrow liberally from my older code, and have utilized some industrial strength components where it made senses (like for example the International Component for Unicode.. etc).

The next post will announce it. I’ll send you an invite to test it out though. Feedback would be appreciated.

5. February 26th, 2010 at 22:11 | #5

This sounds really interesting. Can’t wait to get my hands dirty by trying out the beta version. Will the beta version be publicly available?

6. February 27th, 2010 at 01:24 | #6

yes and no. It’ll be available to people whom I would love some feedback from, but I am not planning to widely advertise it as yet. I’ll add you to the initial beta users mailing list Raza.

7. March 6th, 2010 at 23:48 | #7